Skip to main content
- Beyer, J. (2014). Expect Us: Online Communities and Political Mobilization. Oxford University Press.
- Candon, P. (2016). “Digital publics: Re-defining ‘the civic’ and re-locating ‘the political.’” New Media & Society 18(9): 2133-2138.
- Choi-Fitzbatrick, A. (2016) “Book Review,” Mobilization 21(1): 136-137.
- Yang, G. (2016) “The Commercialization and Digitization of Social Movement Society,” Contemporary Sociology 45(2): 120-125.
- Gunitsky, S. (2015), “Book Review,” Perspectives on Politics 13(3): 878-879.
- McLemee, S. (2015) “From Lulz to Lawmaking,” Inside Higher Education.
Ingebritsen, C., Neumann, I., Gstöhl, S., and Beyer, J. (Eds.) (2006). Small States in International Relations. University of Washington Press/University of Iceland Press.
Refereed Journal Articles
- Beyer , J. and McKelvey, F. (2015). “You Are Not Welcome Among Us: Pirates and the State,” International Journal of Communication.
- Beyer, J. (2014). “The Emergence of a Freedom of Information Movement? Anonymous, WikiLeaks, the Pirate Party, and Iceland,” Journal of Computer Mediated Communication, 19(2): 141-154.
- Earl, J. and Beyer, J. (2014). “The Dynamics of Backlash Online: Anonymous and the Battle for WikiLeaks,” Research in Social Movements, Conflicts and Change, volume 37.
- Beyer, J. and Hofmann, S. (2011). “Varieties of Neutrality: Norm Revision and Decline,” Cooperation and Conflict, 46(3): 285-311.
- Beyer, J. (2021). “Trolls and Hacktivists: Political Mobilization from Online Communities.” Oxford Handbook of Sociology and Digital Media, Rohlinger, D. and Sobieraj, S., eds.
- Beyer, J. and Earl, J. (2018). “Backfire Online: Studying Reactions to the Repression of Internet Activism,” chapter in Paradox of Repression, Lester R. Kurtz and Lee A. Smiley (eds.).
- Beyer, J. (2013). “Anonymous and Authoritarian Regimes,” book chapter in State Power 2.0, Muzammil M. Hussain and Philip N. Howard (eds.).
- Beyer, J. (2011). “Women’s Engagement with Male-dominated Online Communities,” chapter in Cyberfeminism 2.0, edited by Radhika Gajjala and Yeon Ju Oh. New York: Peter Lang Publishing.
- Beyer, J., Osburn, L., Lii, E., Benson, C., Dossick, C. S., Snider, M. (2021). IoT Policy Landscape: Implications for Managing Security in the Built Environment. Cybersecurity in the Built Environment Lab, University of Washington.
- Osburn, L., Beyer, J., Dossick, C. S., & Benson, C. (2021). IoT and Cybersecurity Risk: Core Issues for the Building Industry. Cybersecurity in the Built Environment Lab, University of Washington.
- Ward, M. and Beyer, J. (2019) Vulnerable Landscapes: Case Studies of Violence and Disinformation. Wilson Center, Science & Technology Innovation Program.
- Ward, M., Pierson, S., and Beyer, J. (2019) Formative Battles: Cold War Disinformation Campaigns and Mitigation Strategies. Wilson Center, Science & Technology Innovation Program.
- Beyer, J., Birnbaum, D., and Zech, T. (2018). “The Next Step in Federal Cybersecurity? Considering an NTSB-Style Computer Safety Board.” Jackson School’s International Policy Institute. August 6.
- Lee, S. and Beyer, J. (2017). “Internet of Things Device Security and Supply Chain Management.” Wilson Center, Digital Futures Project. November 22.
- Beyer, J. and Curran, S. (2017). “Cybersecurity Workforce Preparedness: The Need for More Policy-Focused Education.” Wilson Center, Digital Futures Project. November 22.
- Kim, A., Lee, S., Marguleas, O., and Beyer, J. (2016). “Do Counter-Narrative Programs Slow Terrorist Recruiting?” Jackson School’s International Policy Institute. October 3.
- Karmali, N., Lee, S., Isberto, C., Oh, H., and Beyer, J. (2016). “JSIS Cybersecurity Report: How Should the Tech Industry Address Terrorist Use of Its Products?” Jackson School’s International Policy Institute. August 8.
Other Public Writing
Unpublished Research Reports Supervised/Co-written
- Evaluating Cybersecurity Policy, 2021.
- AI Policy and Risk, 2020.
- Landscape Analysis: Paris Call Stakeholder Community, 2019.
- International Election Security Best Practices, 2018.
- Threats to Democracy: Analysis of Major Actor Intent, 2018.
- Eight Country Case Studies of Election Security, 2018.
- The Next Data Tigers: Predicting Global Data Center Hotspots, 2018.
- Addressing Systemic Cybersecurity Risk, 2018.
- Cyberattack Attribution, 2017.
- Extremist Use of Information and Communication Technology, 2016.
- Sub-Saharan Region-wide Cybersecurity Profile, 2015.
- ASEAN’s Cybersecurity Profile, 2014.
- India and South Africa domestic and international governance cybersecurity profile, 2013.